- 13.1 miles/Half Marathon
- Road Race
Things the South Shore Half Marathon has:
1. Beautiful scenery - lake views, woods, and parks. An out-and-back course that has a few hills but is overall pretty flat.
2. A low entry fee! $15 in advance and $25 on race day. Seriously.
3. Easy, free parking
4. Indoor waiting area if it's cold
5. Free beer post-race. And good beer, too.
6. Tons of post-race snacks - pretzels, chips, and cookies
7. Chip timing
Things the South Shore Half Marathon doesn't have:
1. Shirts or medals. You get a pair of cheap, generic gloves
2. Mile markers or clocks at every mile
3. GU or other energy gel on the course
4. A big fancy expo
5. A "swag bag"
6. Tables full of bagels and bananas. All post-race snacks are set out in the big bags they came in. Pour some into the provided paper bowls and grab a seat inside.
7. Wide open streets to run on. The course is a bike path so it can get a bit crowded at times.
This race is put on by a running club so you know you're getting a race that has all the basics and none of the crazy hoopla you get from some of the corporate races. So if you want a well run event with a lovely course and a price that cannot be beat then this is the race for you.