- 13.1 miles/Half Marathon, 26.2 miles/Marathon, Relay
- Road Race
Looking for a run-cation with beautiful scenery, cows, friendly volunteers, and hugs at the finish? Then Mad Marathon, Half Marathon, and Relay is for you! It's a tough course, probably the hardest road course I've done, but more than worth it for the idyllic setting. Hike the hills, run the downs, and enjoy everything in between.
- Check in : in a tent outside the Waitsfield Inn, the official race lodging. if you stay there you just walk outside to get your bib, and roll out of bed in the morning to the start/finish area. Driving is very easy. Waitsfield consists of one main street area and you can park at pretty much any business in town with marathon signs. Very easy access all weekend. Note, small race = no expo. You check in and get your swag. That's it. No other vendors. I hate expos so this was great imo. It's a very small race, so there's not much reason for an expo anyway.
-Swag: nice gender specific shirts (but they're not distance specific - they all say 'marathon'), sling bag with some goodies and discounts from local vendors, nice medal with a barn, of course. :-)
- Course: absolutely stunning. Cows, barns, farmland, mountains, covered bridges, dirt roads.
- Aid stations: at least every 2 miles with great volunteers. Water and gatorade. The half didn't have any food at the stations but I don't need any for a half. Not sure about the full. Every aid station had port-o-johns as well.
-Volunteers: have I mentioned how friendly everyone was?
-Beer stop at mile 10.5 with local brew. Full pours too!
-Finish area: easy access for friends and family. Beer. Donuts and cider. Ice bath. Yoga mats. All the things.
-Hugs: the race director hugs every single runner across the line. Awesome.
- I don't count this as a con but many people would like to know that the course is extremely difficult in terms of hills. Long, steep hills that you pretty much have to walk/hike. I saw everyone walk except the elites. But for every killer uphill, there's an epic downhill.
Check out my full weekend report at https://funsizeathleteblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/12/bibrave-race-review-mad-half-marathon