I've run the Let's Go 510 every year since the debut and it has continued to be a personal favorite way to bring the year to a close, as I rarely run events after it. A joint effort between run local advocates Represent Running and the trail race masters of Brazen Racing, the Let's Go 510 is absolutely a fun event with a little something for runners of every ilk, including the kids. I've never run the 5K option, but do love that the out-and-back course makes for some revelry. Who doesn't love cheering on the lead runners as a middle-of-the-packer? The kids from Running for a Better Oakland are always out there too, and that's a hugely uplifting thing to see out on the course.
- easy parking and start line access (which means easy car access post-race)
- great bling and shirts
- post-race spread (eat ALL THE FOODS,) and if you're into it, horse races at Golden Gate Fields
- surprisingly scenic "road" course with much of it along the water
The first two years the race finished on the race track, which if you've never run on a horse race track, is much like trying to run through guinea pig bedding on the moon. It's HARD! This last year, 2015, the course finished on pavement, which was kinder. I was ready to channel my inner racehorse, so it was a surprise to me, but a pleasant one as it was my first postpartum event. This is one 10K that I now make a point to hit up every year.
Notes on my ratings:
- I can't rate the aid stations, as I always carry my own fuel, but they seem to be stocked and staffed well
- There isn't a 'real' expo. Packet pick-up is at a run store, which is awesome, and the last two years you had a chance to win some Hoka One One shoes. Bonus!
- Elevation is tricky. It's not a flat course, nor a trail run, nor a totally paved one. There's one big hill but otherwise, it's light rollers. Compared to the 'hilliness' of most Brazen Racing events, it's a cruise!
Full reviews here:
2015 - http://littlebeastling.com/2015/11/15/dont-call-it-a-comeback-lets-go-510/
2014 - http://littlebeastling.com/2014/10/31/letsgo510/